Kevin D. Walker
Michigan State University
578 S Shaw Lane, Room 208
Department of Chemistry
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
East Lansing, Michigan 48824
- 2016 - Organizer/Chair of Midwest Enzyme Chemistry Conference (2017), Loyola University, Chicago, IL.
- 2015 - Organizer/Chair of session for the Ron Breslow Award: Biomimetic Chemistry (Eric Kool Awardee) ACS National Meeting, Denver, CO.
- 2014 - Co-Chair at the 2014 ASBMB National Conference, San Diego, CA.
- 2007 - Invited as Discussion Leader at Gordon Research Conference, Enzyme, Coenzymes and Metabolic Pathways, University of New England, Biddeford, ME.
- 2004 - Invited as Discussion Leader at the Terpenoids section at the Frontiers of Bioorganic and Natural Product Chemistry Symposium, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 2000 - Drug Discovery 2000 Seminar, La Jolla, CA.
- 1998 - Fred Pryor Seminars: Management Problems of the Technical Person in a Leadership Role, Spokane, WA.
- 1997 - Drug Discovery and Development Seminar, Baltimore, MD.
- 1989 - Featured in the FDA's monthly journal, FDA Consumer, Fishing for Facts in Fish Safety.23 (1). Abstract: As more Americans are making fish a healthful part of their diets, the safety of seafood is being questioned. The controversy has led FDA to take a closer look at its seafood program.
Grants, Fellowships and Awards
USAID/ USP Grant, Dec 2014 – Dec 2015, RC104517, Characterization of Related Impurities in Antibiotics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives Award, 2015, Michigan State University.
Graduate Academic Advisor Award 2010-2011, Michigan State University.
NSF/ MCB/BIO -CAREER Award, Aug 2008 - 2013, NSFT0746432, Molecular And Biochemical Evaluation of a Phenylalanine Aminomutase, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
NSF/ MCB/BIO -RIG Award, Aug 2007- 2009, NSFT 639937T , T Dissecting the Biosynthetic T Pathway Organization of Bioactive neo-Clerodanes in Plants,T Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
MAES Non-Recurring Funds, Equipment Grant
WSU Inventor Recognition Event, March 23, 2007, T WSU Research Foundation recognition T of inventors from July 1, 2005 through December 31, 2006.
NSF/T T DBI-T MRI, Jan 2006, NSF 619489T , Acquisition of Metabolite Profiling Mass Spectrometry Instrumentation for Michigan State University
Neish Young Investigator Award, 2006, Phytochemical Society of North America.
Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship to support participation in the Plant Metabolic Engineering GRC, Tilton, NH, 2005.
National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1997-2001; CA55254, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
National Institutes of Health Graduate Student Fellowship, 1991-1997; GM32333 supplement, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
National Science Foundation Graduate Student Fellowship, 1991-1994; Special Projects Award 9119783, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration Four Year Graduate Fellowship, 1988; Physical Chemistry Dept., University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
Undergraduate Merit Scholarship, 1986-1987; University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
Undergraduate Merit Scholarship, 1983-1985; Seattle University, Seattle, WA.
Dean's List, 1984-1985; Seattle University, Seattle, WA.
Memberships and Service
Advisory Committee (CEM, 2005 – 2008, 2012 – 2013, 2015 – 2016)
MSU Chemistry Chair Review Committee (2015–2016)
MSU University Library Committee (2014, 2015)
AMU-MSU Summer Research/Graduate Admissions Pathway Committee (2012, 2013, 2014)
Theme Organizing Committee for ASBMB 2014 Conference (2012 – 2013)
Plant Biotechnology T32 Executive Committee Member (2012 – present)
Ad-Hoc Faculty Grievance (2012)
MSUT Director Search Committee (2011 – 2012)
CNS Curriculum Committee (2010 – 2011)
Graduate Programs and Curriculum (BMB, 2009 – present)
Student Judiciary (BMB, 2009 – present)
MSUT Campus Advisory Committee (2010 – present) CNS Academic Grievance Hearing Committee (2008)
Colloquium Committee (CEM, 2007 – 2008)
Inorganic Search Committee (CEM, 2006 – 2007)
Chair Search Committee (CEM, 2005 – 2006)
CNS Life Sciences Task Force (2006 – 2007)
Plant Sciences (PSE III) Committee (2006 – 2007)
2012 – pres Review Editorial Board of Frontiers in Plant Metabolism and Chemodiversity, a specialty of Frontiers in Plant Science.
Frontiers in Science Workshop for Secondary-teachers of science, May 4 & 5, 2007
1995 – 1996 Graduate School Minority Student Education Division Mentor; University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
1987 – 1988 Certified Phlebotomist, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA.
1987 Volunteer Escort, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA.
NIH Center for Scientific Review Panel Member Dec. 2011
USDA Review Panel Member Aug. 2009
NSF Review Panel Member 2005, 2007, 2016 MCB/BIO (and REU).
American Chemical Society Member, 1991 – present.
American Society of Plant Biologists, 2001 – present.
NOBCChE Member, 1996 – 1997 (Seattle WA), 2004 (National Meeting, San Diego CA).